Jan 14, 2010

Makar Shankranti, 'The Harvest Festival'.

Happy Harvest Festival to everyone
I have taken this photo soon after finishing my puja for the day. Since today is Makar Shankranti, I spent little more time than usual. Normally, it is a great occassion in most of the parts of India, but you really can get any vibes, if you are staying outside of India and that to in Swiss.
The puja thali and all other accessories like the bell, diya, dhup dani, kalash etc. have been given to me by my mother (we three call her Maa) during my marriage. It is a custom in the coastal belt of Orissa, wherein a mother gives 'Laxminarayan' and a set of all puja accessories to the daughter as a symbol of married hood. Normally, all married woman only do Laxminarayan Brat in orissa. My personal favourite is the kalash with the coconut which I picked from one of the shops located inside 'The Famous Baladevjiu Temple' premises.
I had grown up all those years as a part of all such great festivals and now hardly able to see many of them here, except some very known like Navaratri, Durgastami and very occassionaly Holi. Moreover, with the rapid modernization of our society, we hardly remember and understand the ethics behind all such festivals and coustoms. But nevermind, let us just assume, Aall is well...
Keep the faith..
Shree

No comments: